FALL VACATION 2011 – Saturday, 10/1/11 – Portland Day 3


We return to the Mississippi food cart pod for breakfast.  I am determined to have one of those Monte Cristo sandwiches at The Big Egg.  We arrive around 9:30.  She takes my order and tells me it will be about a 25 minute wait.

We are learning these food cart entrepreneurs are an independent lot.  If they run out of ingredients, so what, they just mark it off their menu.  If their hours say, “Open at 9:30”, no big deal if they show up at 10.  Those are the benefits and joys of being independently owned and operated.  I get it.  I like it.



I wait 25 minutes and Fred orders a cornbread waffle with eggs and sausage from Big Top Waffle cart.  OMG it is the best waffle I have ever eaten.

Ok, you may be thinking I am exaggerating with all “the best” stuff but Fred and I both agree we have had some of the most wonderful food from these food carts that we have ever eaten on a trip.  We are absolutely sold on food carts.  There is something about their pride and love of what they do that carries over into their food.  We are BIG fans.  Obviously.



Unfortunately my Monte Cristo sandwich is a disappointment.  If I had read the description I might have known they fill it with blue cheese and a fried egg and it is not made in the traditional way.  It is good, but not what I have in mind.  My bad, not theirs.

It is beginning to rain lightly as we pull into the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI).  

We buy tickets for the exhibits, a tour of the USS Blueback submarine, and an Omnimax showing of” Big Waves Tahiti”.  Fred picked the tour (submarine) and I picked the movie (Tahiti).  We both enjoy our selections.  The USS Blueback was built in World War II and was one of the first fish-shaped submarines. It was one of the last diesel-electric submarines and was decommissioned in 1990.

USS Blueback



We take a lunch break from OSMI and drive to the food cart pod on 12th and Hawthorne.  This is a small pod of only six carts, but all of them sound delicious and we have difficulty deciding what we want.  One choice for sure is “Potato Champion”.  She has a crazy selection of french fry concoctions.  Fred chooses fries smothered in chili, cheese and pulled pork.  I pick the Pyro Pizza cart and a wood-fired mozzarella cheese and basil pizza.  We are both happy with our choices.






For dessert we choose “Whiffie’s Fried Pies”.  It’s a mixed berry fried pie with vanilla ice cream.  Sooooooooo good.  A sweet/tart filling oozing out of a golden flaky crust.

Back to OSMI to visit some of the other exhibits.  We  particularly enjoy the Chemistry Lab and the Physics Lab.  We make wine glasses filled with colored water sing.  We create bright colored flames from chloride.  We become mad scientists.




We leave OSMI laughing and talking about all the fun we had.  The rain is still gently falling.


We return to the RV and share a light dinner of leftover tamale and taco.  The rest of the evening is watching the opening season show of "Modern Family".  Funny.

By the way, just for your information, in spite of all the food cart eating, Fred and I have gotten skinnier and taller:


Lights out around 9:30.

No comments: