FALL VACATION 2011 - 9/14/11

Wednesday, 9/14/11  -  Destination:  Burlington, WA

HOORAY FOR JACK!  He didn’t make the blackberry pie for dessert last night, but he MAKES  IT FOR BREAKFAST THIS MORNING!!!  It is mouth watering.  A flaky rustic style crust, sprinkled with sugar, surrounding tender sweet blackberries.  I revert back to my childhood and put mine in a bowl with half-and-half.  All at once I am ten years old again, sneaking into the kitchen early in the morning and cutting a delectable piece of left over blackberry pie, all the sweet dark juices oozing onto my plate.  Grabbing a spoon I would smother my secret treasure in sweet half-and-half and devour it before anyone stirred.  Ah, what bliss.

If I were to rate B&B establishments, I would give this one an A+.  Until this morning.  This morning the illusion of perfection is shattered when we are awakened to a screeching alarm accompanied by a calm, serene voice whispering , “Fire, Fire, Fire.”  I turn to Fred and say, “I hope it’s just because of the bacon.”   We already know the fire alarm doesn’t like bacon because yesterday she did the same thing.  Evidently this morning she doesn’t like blackberries bubbling over into the oven.   But all is forgiven when we sit down to that gorgeous blackberry pie.  What do you think?   Yes, definitely an A+.



Unfortunately we have to say goodbye to our good friends and head north.  The time has flown by all too quickly as it usually does.  We pack our things, hug goodbye, give Rex one last scratch, and head back to our campsite to pack up the RV.




Surprise, surprise.  I discover wild blackberry bushes growing near the river and pick a large bag full to freeze.  We will definitely attempt our own rustic pie sometime soon.  I will have to ask Jack for his recipe.  We eat a quick lunch of left over fried chicken (thank you Jack) and leave town.


Tolt River




We head towards Anacortes in the San Juan Islands.  We arrive at Bay View State Park around 5:00 and settle into our campsite.  We eat a light supper of garlic bread and canned chicken soup.  No more gourmet dinners for a while, darn.  Tomorrow we will explore the area and hopefully find a boat that is still offering  whale watching excursions. 


Lights out around 10:00




  

No comments: